Saturday, June 16, 2007

My Latest Discovery....



First know this is a Google Image....BUT....I have recently discovered a Bald Eagle's nest similiar to this less than two miles from Bill's Botanical Gardens (and out of range of my camera). Ohio's bald eagle population grew from only four nesting pairs along the southwestern Lake Erie shore 27 years ago, to a record 150 eagle nests in 2006. Those nests produced 206 young. Turns out that this nest has been there for three years and this is the first year to have a chick in the nest. "Chick" is almost a misnomer at this point because the fast maturing eaglet is approaching the size of its mother. I watched from a pretty great distance both last night and this evening. The nest is along the Licking near the Claylick bridge. Last evening the adult was feeding junior. Tonight, junior was by him/herself sitting on the edge of the nest and the adult was nowhere to be seen.....however.....just about the time I was ready to leave the adult flew out of a nearby tree and sent my heartrate up 10 notches as it soared down through the valley. What a sight!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Shell, Wife, Mom, and Nursing Student said...

I am hoping that you will be able to get a picture very soon. I will keep checking back!! We are not that far away, I may need to go and see for myself. How exciting!

Gluten Free Gourmet said...

I just might have to join you for a jaunt near Pleasant Chapel!

Beth said...

Wow!!!!!!