Friday, April 27, 2007

Salt Fork Lodge....And Life...


Yesterday I was called on to deliver a speech to the Clow Water Company's 90 member leadership team on the topic of "The Nature of Leadership." Several things made this opportunity unique:
- Derek Dozer, Head of HR at Clow, is a good friend and former Longaberger fellow trainer. There are about 5 or 6 Longaberger leaders that I have "Forever Friend" relationships with. That's one of the reasons I took a lot of prep time on this one. I wanted to exceed their expectations and inspire the best in them.... and me too!
- This gig is one of two Company trainings that I have done that they have invited Pat to join me. The other is one I did in Hartville Ohio for another Longaberger friend, Todd Kunsman. When he found out that I had accepted the training date on our anniversary he invited Pat and surprised us with gifts at the conference. One of my gifts was a T shirt that said on the front..."I could have spent our anniversay in the Bahamas but.... and on the back it says, "I came to Hartville instead!" Derek and Todd and Salle and Kirby and Kelly "Iron Sharpens Iron" Walker are the kind of friends that just pick up from where we last left off and who I love dearly.
- By staying together at this beautiful lodge we were able to spend some time birding. Spring migration is in full swing and how wonderful it was to get out in the morning and catch such beauties as yellow warblers, hawks, tree swallows, yellow rumped warblers (butter butts as Salle calls them!), towees and 4 families of wood ducks among others. It certainly inspired me for my topic of The Nature of Leadership!
- It allowed me time to reflect on the great blessings God has providenced us to enjoy at this stage of our lives. We so enjoy being together....birding together....looking at the awsome sights of God's creation and seeing them as just that. We love each other...love life...have the love of family and good good friends all around us....AND LIFE IS GOOD!

1 comment:

Megan Hofacker said...

That's great that mom got to go w/ you and that you had some time, away from the conf. , to enjoy each other and the wonders around you. you both inspire Dave and I to stop and just enjoy each others company as well as our childen. Thank you both for being such an inspiration in our life. We love you both!!