Sunday, December 10, 2006

Longaberger Gig

Last night I was called back to be the Master of Ceremonies at the Crawford Barn Christmas Show. Over 100 people gathered in the beautifully decorated barn to enjoy a meal and entertainment. When I was first hired full time by Longaberger my job was to research the history of the barn. It temporarily housed over 50,000 horses between 1895 and 1905. I never get back there but what I remember the most wonderful job I ever had! Managing horses, singing Christmas Carols in Victorian costumes, walking through the woods with groups of kids teaching them the lifelong hobby of birdwatching. But what made it so fun were THE PEOPLE I WORKED WITH.......
The Edutainment Department was a wacky bunch who knew how to work hard and have fun! Dave Longaberger's philosophy which he posted on a large sign in the basket manufacturing department was, "25% of Your Day Should Be Fun." We knew how to maximize that time.
One of my responsibilities was to take groups of children and adults into Black Hand Gorge Nature Preseve, Baughman Park and other nature venues....AND GET PAID FOR IT! I became known as "Wilderness Bill." This was a celebration held for me when I left the department to begin teaching the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People as part of Longaberger University. We had a great time...didn't we Kirby, Salle, Anita and Nancy!

2 comments:

Kirby Hasseman said...

Wow! Great stuff! This literally brings a tear to my eye. It reminds me of the time I had to say goodbye to this group. As I mentioned on my blog...this was truly a dynamic group to work with. I honestly miss them.

Salle Beckwith said...

I can't believe you still have these photos - what gems! I also had to say goodbye, and although you both (Bill & Kirby) missed my goodbye "roast," it involved mostly the same whacky people, a black feathered bra, high-heeled pink slippers, etc. I agree with Bill that my last jobs at Longaberger were the best I ever had and definitely the most FUN!