Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Chelsey...Our First!

Chelsey is our first granddaughter! She has become a dear friend as well. She has a zest for life that is contageous. She recently took a big step and married Nate Trainer and is now Mrs. Chelsey Trainer. Nate serves in the US Marines and we welcome him as grandchild number 7.




I was honored to be asked to be a part of Chelsey's wedding ceremony. I made the following remarks:

Chelsey, it was on one of your first visits to our house when you were about 5 that you spoke up at our kitchen table to let me know that if Wes and Cheryl got married….I’d be your Grandpa! It was unsettling to me because at the time I was far to young to be a “Grandpa!” …and yet here we are… in so short a time… at your wedding.

Your Grandma Pat and I have now been married for 39years and dated 6 years. That’s 45 years together. From our experience I want to give you 3 key words to remember and practice that will result in you two loving each other more in 45 years than you love each other even today.
1. Adapt – You are going to change each other very little. The only person you actually have the power to change is yourself.
2. Communicate – When you feel like isolating and withdrawing…..DON’T! Instead….TALK!....but more importantly listen. Seek first to understand and then be understood.
3. Love – I am convinced it is the most important force on the planet.

Listen as I read the verses you requested in I Corinthians.
“And now I will show you the most excellent way. The way of love. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. Follow the way of love.”

No comments: