Monday, August 20, 2007

40 Year Anniversary Surprise!

How thoughtful of Rich, Karen and the group to honor our 40th year with a surprise cake and song! This set off a flood of recollections for us and others as we reminisced about how we met and where and when we were married. 40 years may be a long time but memories of that day are very fresh. My brother Bob was in Viet Nam and I so wanted him to have been best man and share the day.....So I woke up that day and began a letter to him detailing what was happening and how I felt. I remember laying the pad with the letter down just as I went around the corner to see "my bride to be" come down the aisle. I wrote....."so here I go...." somewhat prophetic words!........ and now here we are from where we went!

Pat summed it up best in her card to me with these words:

"It's been 40 years since we started our voyage together.... years of learning, discovering, compromising and loving. The smooth sailing has been wonderful and the storms we've weathered have drawn us closer to each other, to others and to God. I love you even more today than I did all those years ago, and I'm so glad that I decided to take the journey of a lifetime with you."

.....my sentiments exactly, Babe!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Megan Hofacker said...

It's so wonderful to have parents that are so in love w/ one another. What a great example you set for all of us. I strive everyday to have that relationship w/ David. We love you guys dearly and are so blessed to have you as parents!

Megan Hofacker said...

What an awesome picture, by the way, of you to kissing. That is so sweet!

Beth said...

Ah, man. That is SO sweet. Thanks for the inspiration, thanks for sticking it out. Great picture.

And congratulations, by the way!!!

Gluten Free Gourmet said...

The example you set...you have no idea how far reaching it is (or maybe you do). Relationships are never easy but you two seem to have found the key!
Best wishes and love.

Jen