Tuesday, January 02, 2007

My Thoughts As I Watch....

I sit here watching the casket of President Ford being moved from the House of Representatives to the Washington Cathedral for his funeral. As I watch I reflect on the days of Gerald Ford's life and presidency and listen to the words said about him....
"A great example of how to live a life" was one comment made.
Funeral time is a good time for me to think about my life activities and what words I am putting into the mouths of the ones who will eventually be standing around my casket.
It's good periodically to reflect on "What stuff really matters, anyway."
In Gerald's case his daughter Susan read a scripture..."be doers of the word and not hearers only"
I too want to be a doer.
Former President George Bush told a story about how he kept his word....kept his promises..."Jerry Ford's word was always good... he rekindled our national faith."
I want to rekindle people's faith.
He had a great sense of humor. He told president Bush once, "I know I'm playing better golf, I'm hitting fewer spectators!"
I want people around me to be laughing...
Tom Brokaw spoke of how "The man he was in public was the man he was in private... He left the office of president far better off than when he found it. "
I too want to leave the planet better than I found it.
President Bush pointed out how more than proud of the title of President he was proud of the title of Father, Husband, Grandfather.
He had four children and so do I. I want to be good husband, father and grandfather.
Another friend stated, "Gerold Ford was a Christian, a man of prayer. He was quick to listen and slow to anger."
I have work to do.
There is life left to be better than what I am by God's help.

2 comments:

Pastorwes said...

If you are lucky you will have people say exaggerated things (at least they said more about him now then they did when he was living.) about you like they just did for G.F. It is ironic that he has been villified for years as a weak president but the moment he dies he becomes "the greatest." Too bad no one gave him this love while he was living.

We should write out what we want said and everyone can compare reality with what we thought we were.

Gluten Free Gourmet said...

Doer of the Word, Rekindler of Faith, Quick to listen and slow to anger. Someone who has a hearty laugh and likes to not only share it, but always has a smile. Ready to help those in need. A great friend. Stealer of the massage chair.

All words I would put on your epitaph!!!

:) :) :) :)