Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Morning And I'm Awake, Alive and Thankful

When I was in college I had pretty much figured out that there was no God...that our/my existence was the result of "universal forces" that through a process of evolution over a long time had resulted in "my being here."
And then came Dr. Brown's biology class. There my paradigm changed! There I was made aware of:
The Salmon....

The salmon is born in a tiny gravel bottomed stream as far inland as 7000 miles. It there grows and when "of age" makes its way from stream to converging stream those 7000 miles and from fresh water to salt into the Pacific Ocean and to it's "home" around Baja California. There it lives for about 7 years. At some point.... there dawns an "awakening" that it needs to go home! It swims the Pacific coast past stream after stream until it comes to the Columbia River where it takes a "right turn!" Past osprey and bears...from tributary to tributary it makes it's way....some 7000 miles to the very gravely bottomed stream in which it hatched!

I learned also about the Arctic Tern. Born within the Arctic Circle, it grows during the spring and "summer" of its first year..... and then.....like the Salmon......it awakens to a "need" to take off for warmer climate. It takes off for it's "summer" home in the Antartic.... 11,000 miles away! There it lives and eats and grows until in the Antarctic fall...an "awakening" takes place. The tern takes off in flight and travels 11,000 miles....half a globe away... to land in the very place it was hatched!
It dawned on me that man himself has learned to do this flight navigation thing using highly developed technology created my highly skilled minds in machines created by very bright people.
The Arctic Tern does it the year it's born!!!!
In me in the year of 1967 there was a paradigm shift....an "awkening" if you will! I decided not only that there is a God but that he created me....knows me.......he wants me to make contact with him through and avenue called prayer. I have since that time...pursued the God who made me.
THERE IS NOTHING I AM MORE THANKFUL FOR THAN THAT I HAVE MADE THAT DECISION..... AND THAT...... ONE DAY....LIKE THE SALMON AND THE TERN...I TOO WILL BE......HOME!
May you have a blest Thanksgiving AND MAY PRAYER BE A PART OF YOUR CONVERSATION!

No comments: