Tuesday, July 03, 2007

My Stock...


Above is my Grandpa Miller. He was a railroad detective and would describe to us his work chasing down people who tried to sabatoge the trains and equipment. I would love to stay over night with him and Grandma and sleep in Tina's room when I did. In the book case in that room were lots of books I loved to peruse. My Uncles, Jerry, Ed and Don served in WW II. One particular book they brought back and I remember so clearly looking at the pictures in was about the Holocost. I'll never forget those images. Grandpa had a great sense of humor, loved boxing (always talked about Lewis and Dempsey etc) and loved his grandkids. At Christmas one year he got the gift of a brick....then anbother then another....then another....He got bricks for Christmas a numer of years in a row saying he was saving them to build a new house!


Grandma Miller was an amazing lady! She was a great intellect...loved to read...laugh....cook...enjoy her grandkids. She would take me to church on occasion and then I would get to go home with her after church when it would be just her and I...talking. As soon as we would come in the door after church she would walk over to the heat grate and stand over it to let the coal fired furnace heat go up under her Shelton Stroller dress to warm her up! Grandma taught me the value of prayer. Mainly at meal times but other times as well she would bow her head (sometimes I would peak to watch her!) and she would pray....always for others. When I went away to Marietta College she handed me the gift of a bible. In the front of it she had written these words which I have repeated to myself and others many times since, "All in this life will soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last." I remember coming home from college and going down the street to where she lived to talk with her. I wish I had spent more time doing that. She would ask me questions and I always would wonder why......I thought she knew everything! Probably the most fervant prayer I ever prayed was when I was with her in her living room when she had her stroke. I didn't want God to take her! I wasn't done knowing her yet! Lookng at this picture causes me t reflect on her love...how she smelled....how she would occasionally drop her pearls of whisdom to me...HOW MUCH SHE LOVED ME AND HOW MUCH I LOVED HER.....and still do!



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Beth said...

I, for one, am glad you are doing both, and glad we get a peek into your legacy...

Seth and Heather said...

Thanks for sharing your memories of your granparents with us. They sound like amazing people! No doubt they had a role in shaping the person you are today, as you are doing with your grandchildren! :)