Friday, March 24, 2006

Jolly Old England...Mother of US(A) All...Here We Come


We have now added a side trip to our trip to France! ..A trip to jolly OLD England! How old you ask?? This is a picture of our friend Val Baty (in the middle) who we will be staying with in England, standing in the Chester Cathedral where she plays the flute in the Philharmonic Orchestra. The Chester Cathedral in which she plays dates back to approximately the year of Our Lord AD 800. She is going to lead us on a walk around the wall of Chester built by the Romans somewhere around 43 AD. We will worship on Easter Sunday in a church in her town of Oswestry built in about 1200 AD. ....I mean....we're talking rich history here. Those who know me know I am driven by an "overactive" sense of curiosity.
My goals for this trip are as follows:
1. To kick back and spend time with Pat, Sam, Mel, our two grandturtles and Mel's family
2. To enjoy, learn about and experience French history and culture
3. To focus on two particular elements of world history and resulting influence, namely the rise and spread of the Roman Empire into France and England and the early (as in real early!) beginnings and spread of Christianity into the Roman and Europeon culture.
I have been doing some preparatory reading on these subjects including the writings of Paul to the Romans and his account of his own travels and experiences as he planted "start up groups" of Christians as he went. I find it very interesting that growing Christianity was seen as a threat to the Roman Empire. Christians were pubicly tortured and killed (as was Paul) by Romans in somewhat similiar fashion to the current situation in Afghanistan in which Abdul Rahman faces death for becoming a Christian.....and....in spite of that..... Chrisianity spread. I'm fascinated by the fact that every time I write a check or list my birthdate, it is numbered in years (now 2006) from Christ....and when did that all start??
I'm on a quest...a part of my life adventure on which I connect with the most important people in my life, my family, and enjoy a part of the creation I as yet have not seen....all the while searching for....my roots. Let's roll!

2 comments:

Pastorwes said...

May God bless you and keep you safe as you embark on your missionary journey. Enjoy the sites but know that I would take the site of a frog in your pond (see pic.) anyday over 9 hour plane rides and arrogant Europeans. :)

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»